Grades | How to set restrictions for Grades
Restrictions can be used to limit access of students to grades. For example by setting a start and/or end date, or by having the requirement of having completed another part of the course first.
In this article you will learn about:
Navigate to your course, in the green navigation bar
- Click on Grades
In the Grades Homepage,
2. Click on Manage Grades
This will open an overview page where all the Grade Items, created for the course, are displayed. Restrictions can be set from the Edit Item Homepage either:
Navigate to the Edit Item Homepage of a new Grade Item :
- Click on New
- Click on Item
In order to Edit an existing Grade Item :
1. Click on the title of the Grade Item,
Click on the downward arrow next to the Grade Item, a drop-down menu will appear
2. Click on Edit
This action will open the Edit Item homepage.
Then, click on the Restrictions tab and the restriction options will appear.
When this option is selected, the grade item will not be visible to students
In this section, three options are available :
- Has Start Date - the item will not be visible before the set date
- Has End Date - the item will not be visible after the set date
- Display in Calendar - the item will be displayed on the course's calendar as well as an indication on the Upcoming events widget.
Users are not able to access or view the grade unless they meet the release conditions. Three options are available.
The changes are not automatically saved upon creation. Click on one of the buttons on the bottom of the page to do so:
- Save and Close - to save and close the Restriction settings. After closing, the Manage grades homepage will reopen
- Save and New - to save and also open the New Item homepage to create a new Grade item
- Save - to save the Restriction settings
- Cancel - to cancel, neither the Restrictions settings nor the changes will be saved
This action will redirect you to the Manage Grades homepage were the grade item will be with an indication next to it.
Next to the name of the grade item several symbols will appear depending on the restrictions that been set.
The grade item is not visible to students. When the "Hidden from users" box is not selected then the icon disappears.
The grade item has restriction on the due date and the availability
Now you know how to set restrictions for Grades in Brightspace!