GroupTool | How to manage students' enrolments and/or groups
GroupTool is based on the groups created via the Brightspace Groups. This means the enrollments of students in a group you see in GroupTool are linked to the enrollments made in the Brightspace Group.
However, in GroupTool there is a possibility to edit this enrollment.
This article will explain:
How to manage students' enrollments
- How to add a student to a group
- How to remove
How to manage groups
- How to add groups
- How to remove groups
- How to edit groups
1. How to manage students' enrollments
1.1. How to add a student to a group in the GroupTool
First, access the GroupTool. When the new tab is open, in the left vertical bar select the Groups option. In the Students panel,
- Click on the Selectbox at the left side of the student(s) name, that needs to be added to a group
- Click on the blue Add button in the next panel
When you are creating groups to link them with a TimeEdit event, make sure that you will not exceed the number of students that a room can fit. To do so;
- navigate to the tab Schedule,
- click the scheduled event on the calendar and
- check the capacity of the room, on the description field.
This action will automatically add the selected students to the group. As soon as this is completed, a confirmation pop up message will appear.
On the Students panel there would be also a green circle on the right side of the students name, indicating that the the student has been successfully added to the group.
1.2. How to remove a student from a group in the GroupTool
While in the Groups section, on the Brightspace groups panel first select the category and then the group that needs to be edited. Under the Group Enrollments a list will appear. To remove a student,
- Click on the Selectbox next to the student(s) name which needs to be removed from the group.
- Then, click the blue Remove button.
This action will automatically remove the students from the group. As soon as this is completed, a pop up message will appear confirming the removal.
On the Students panel there would be also no circle on the right side of the students name, indicating that the removal was successful.
2. How to manage groups
To manage Group's categories click on the gear wheel button next to the Category drop-down menu. It will direct you to the Brightspace Groups homepage, in case you need to edit the existing Brightspace groups
2.1. How to add groups
- "+" icon button - gives the possibility to add more groups from the same category
- Click on the "+" icon button to add one or more groups in the selected category
- Enter a GroupName
- Click on Create
The new group will appear among the other groups in the Groups drop-down menu list.
2.2. How to remove groups
- "-" icon button - gives the possibility to remove the added groups from the selection
Click on the "-" icon button to delete the select group. A warning message will appear. Click "OK" to proceed with deleting the desired group.
2.3. How to edit groups
- Pencil icon button - allows to quickly edit the group’s name and/or to give a description if needed
- Click on the pencil icon button to edit the Group Name
- Type the new name under GroupName
- Click on Update
By editing the name and/or description of the group using the Pencil icon button you will update the name and/or description of the group overall in Brightspace.
You now know how to manage students' enrollements and/or groups in the GroupTool!