The GroupTool is a new tool integrated into Brightspace for the classroom allocation and scheduling of the Brightspace course's groups through TimeEdit.
The GroupTool is not available to everyone. You will be informed when the tool is available for you and and your course.
In this article you will learn about:
In order to use the GroupTool for scheduling of the course's groups, groups need to be created beforehand (or have them made) via the Brightspace Groups.
The difference between the Brightspace Groups and GroupTool
Brightspace Groups allows instructors to create groups for their courses' activities built in the Brightspace environment such as Assignments, Quizzes, and for settings on course activities such as Release conditions.
GroupTool on the other hand is an add-on option that serves to allocate existing Brightspace Groups into classrooms connected to Roostering and TimeEdit.
This new tool creates a personalised calendar for the student and automatically communicates any changes that might occur to always keep them up to date.
How to access the GroupTool
Navigate to the course. In the green navigation bar,
1. Click Communication, a drop-down menu will appear.
2. Click GroupTool.
A new browser tab will open with the GroupTool page.
On the top center of the page, the name of the course appears for which you opened the GroupTool.
On the left side of the page, you will see a vertical bar with three features:
- Groups (landing site).
- Link Groups.
Each feature is explained below.
This is the landing site when you open the GroupTool from Brightspace.
To the right from the left bar you will see 4 panels with options Filter, Students, Add/Remove buttons, Legend, Brightspace groups, and Group Enrollments.
In the first panel, you have the option:
Filter - option to apply a filter for the type of student in the course, and/or enrollment status in a group:
- Type of student:
- All (default).
- Students - only those course participants enrolled in Brightspace with the role of Student.
- Re-exam students - only those course participants enrolled in Brightspace with the role of Re-exam student.
- Group enrollment status:
- All (default).
- In a group - shows only those course participants that are enrolled in (any) Brightspace group.
- Not in a group - shows only those course participants that are not enrolled in (any) Brightspace group.
In the second panel, Students, the list of students enrolled in the course is being displayed based on the filter selection (options described above) used.
Apart from the student names this view also includes different icons which are explained in the Legend.
To search for a specific student, use the Search field in this panel.
When you position the cursor over a student's name, their email address appears.
If you position the cursor over the grey dot next to the student's name, the group name they are enrolled in can be checked.
In the same third panel, there is the Legend. It explains the icons and colours that appear next to the name of each student in the Students list panel located on the left. This icon list is standard and will appear whether the icon is used or not. The legend icons explain:
- Brightspace group enrollment:
- Green dot - indicates that a student is enrolled in the current group.
- Grey dot - indicates that a student is (also) enrolled in another group.
- Brightspace role:
- Re-exam student.
In the fourth panel, there is the Brightspace groups section. This option allows you to select from the existing Brightspace groups in the course:
- the group Category - using the drop-down menu
- the Group - using the drop-down menu.
Further options in this sections are:
- below the Category drop-down menu
- Settings icon button - will redirect you to the Brightspace Groups if you need to edit the existing Brightspace groups.
- below the Group drop-down menu
- "+" icon button - gives the possibility to add more groups from the same category.
- "-" icon button - gives the possibility to remove the added groups from the selection.
- Pencil icon button - allows to quickly edit the group’s name and/or to give a description if needed.
By editing the name and/or description of the group using the Pencil icon button you will update the name and/or description of the group overall in Brightspace.
This is the site when you open the Schedule.
A calendar will appear were you have an overview of the course's reservations schedule. On the right side there is the preview area where the edit option will appear as soon as a time slot has been selected.
For more information about how to use the schedule in GroupTool please visit: How to use Schedule with the GroupTool
Now you know how to use the basics of the GroupTool!