How to import/export a Calendar
This article will show you how to export your Brightspace calendar to your private calendar, like Google Calendar and the calendar in Microsoft Outlook. You will learn about:
In the course homepage, navigate to the green navigation bar
- Click on My Brightspace
- From the drop-down menu click on Calendar
Enabling external calendars
1. In the Calendar homepage click on Settings. This will open the Settings pop-up menu.
2. Tick the box Enable Calendar Feeds.
3. Click Save
There should now be an option Subscribe. The Calendar is now set up to import and export calendars.
Export calendar from Brightspace
Brightspace will export the calendar as an iCal-link (.ics file). Make sure the importing environment supports this.
1. On the Calendar homepage, click Subscribe. This will open the Calendar Subscriptions pop-up window
2. Under Calendar Subscription it is possible to select which parts of the calendar need to be transferred. Options in the drop-down menu are:
- All Calendars and Tasks
- Tasks Only
- All calendar items of specific courses
3. Highlight and copy the URL. This can be used to create a link in the external calendar.
4. Click Close to close the pop-up window.
The generated link will subscribe the external calendar to (parts of) Brightspace. Any changes in Brightspace will also be applied in the external calendar.
It is also possible to Download the calendar as a separate .ics-file. However, the download option is a one-time event; any changes in the Brightspace calendar will not automatically updated in the external calendar, but will have to be manually downloaded again!
Import calendar to Brightspace
It is possible to import calendar with activities to your Brightspace course from an external calendar.
- First select the calendar of the course where you want to import
- Click on the button Import Events
A window pops out with the information about the course calendar where you are about to import the external events (you will see the name at the top of the window):
3. Attendees - you can select to whom these externally imported calendar activities will be visible (whole class, or specific Brightspace group)
4. Click on Choose File button to search your computer for the calendar file
5. Click Import.
You can import only .iCal or .ics file types. File type .olm is not supported.
If you have another file type you can always try to upload it and see whether the system recognises it or not.
Before the system returns you to the Calendar homepage of your course, in the pop-up window you will see a confirmation of import.
6. Click Close to return to the Calendar homepage.
Activities from the imported calendar will now be visible in the Brightspace Calendar of the course you chose and to the attendees you selected.
You now know how to enable external calendars, export and import a calendar from Brightspace!