About Brightspace course enrolments
Different type of enrolments are possible within a Brightspace course. The different roles give to users different type of permissions within the course environment.
In this article you can find information about enrolments:
Any changes in Course Coordinator, Lecturer and Course Administrator roles should be made by sending an email to email@example.com.
Manually enroled participants with one of the above indicated roles in Brightspace courses who are not registered in EMC, will be removed from the Brightspace course by the EMC synchronization.
Teaching Assistant, Student Assistant, Guest Lecturer, Guest Presenter and Viewer roles can be enroled to Brightspace by either the Course Coordinator or the Course Administrator.
1. Regular courses
For all regular centrally scheduled courses, enrolments are automatically processed by Brightspace for:
1.1. Students / Resit candidates
Student enrolments are based on the student course registrations (Osiris)
- When the registration term is open, students can register themselves via Osiris
- When the registration term is closed for students, but still open for course coordinators, the course coordinator can register the student via Osiris
- When the registration term is closed for students and course coordinators, contact the Student Service Centre
The Education Support Centre strongly advises not to manually add students to a course in Brightspace; they will not be officially registered for the course.
WUR-staff enrolments are based on the course administration in the WUR Study Handbook. There are several roles in the Handbook that can be registered per course, and the automatic enrolment in Brightspace is based on this administration. The role in Brightspace is linked to the role in the study guide:
- Course coordinator (Brightspace role: course coordinator)
- Lecturer (Brightspace role: lecturer)
- Administrative procedures support ( Brightspace role: course administrator )
However, there some WUR-staff roles that need to be enroled by the Course coordinators:
- Teaching assistants (Brightspace role: teaching assistant)
- Guest lecturers (Brightspace role: guest lecturers)
|Automatic Enrolment by study Handbook||
|Manual Enrolment by Course Coordinator||
It is important that the course administration in the Handbook is up to date for the staff enrolments in Brightspace (and Osiris)
Changes in Course Coordinator, Lecturer and Course Administrator roles should be required to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Non-regular courses
Non-regular courses are Brightspace courses (e.g. Thesis rings, Program sites etc.) that are not centrally scheduled. For all these types of courses, enrolments are not automated. There are several ways to enrol users in these courses:
Manually add users to the course can be done by a course coordinator.
2.2. Batch enrolments
Batch enrolments of a substantial amount of users (>30) send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com.
Attach to the request an Excel file with the:
- users e-mail addresses
- course role names (e.g. Lecturer, Student etc.)
- Brightspace course code in which they need to be enroled
When the course is "discoverable", the course will be open for every Brightspace user, who will be able to self-enrol. This mode is only applicable in specific situations, it presents some limitations in the current version and is not yet recommended. Learn How to use the Discover tool in Brightspace.