How to delete groups and categories
As you may have learned in the article How to use Groups tool, you can create groups in Brightspace where students are assigned to submit group assignments or create group discussions.
This article will show how to:
Deleting a Category or a Group has consequences for the functions the Category/Group they are linked to:
- Discussions - only the forum will remain visible for the lecturer. All topics including content will be deleted
- Assignments - will be deleted when deleting a category/group. Assignments that were submitted are deleted too, and can not be retrieved! However, a lecturer can see how many assignments were submitted
- Subgroups - all subgroups will be deleted
- Release Conditions - if there is a file in Content with this category as a release condition, everyone will be able to access the file after deleting the category
Follow the next steps to delete a category that you previously created in your course:
1. Navigate to Communication in the navigation bar
2. Click on Groups. This will take you to the Manage Groups homepage
The Manage Groups homepage will open, under View Categories,
3. Click on the downward arrow, a dropdown menu will appear,
4. Select the category you want to delete
Now you can continue to one of the following sections to delete a category or to delete a group.
5. Click on the selectbox next to the category name you want to delete.
All the groups within that category will automatically be selected since they will be removed deleted together with the category
6. Click on Delete
5. Click on the selectbox next to the category name you want to delete
6. Click on Delete
After you click on Delete a group or a category, a confirmation pop-up window will open,
7. Click on Delete Groups/Categories in the confirmation pop-up
The groups and categories have been successfully deleted.
You know now how to delete groups and categories in Brightspace!