How to create an Announcement
Announcements can be used for several purposes. It is a way to update students quickly and easily about important course information. Announcements can be used to, for example, welcome students at the beginning of the course, to communicate added content, or to inform students about a deadline or location. It is possible to:
- Personalise Announcements with an audio or video message
- Decide when for how long and for whom the Announcement is visible
- Easily edit or delete Announcements
Announcements can be found on the Course Home of the course.
This article will show:
On the Announcements homepage, all created announcements can be found.
To navigate to the Announcements homepage either click on Course home in the green navigation bar or via Course Tools - Course Admin.
Via Course Home
1. Click on the arrow next to Announcements, a drop-down menu will appear
2. Click on Go to Announcements Tool
Via Course Tools
1. Click on Course Tools in the navbar, a drop-down menu will appear
2. Click on Course Admin
3. Click on Announcements (under Communication)
This will open the Announcements homepage:
1. Click on the blue-button New Announcement to make a new Announcement
2. Click on More Actions a drop-down menu will appear - to change the order of the Announcement (Reorder), to navigate to Notifications, or retrieve deleted Announcements (Restore)
Use the search bar to find a specific Announcement.
3. Click on Show Search Options to select the Announcements to search within a specific date range
In the table, for each Announcement, the title, message, start date (date from which the Announcement is visible), end date (if applicable), and the status (published/draft) are displayed
First, navigate to the course you want to place an Announcement in.
1. Click on Course Home
2. Click on the arrow next to Announcements, a drop-down menu will appear
3. Click on New Announcement
This action will open the New Announcement page
1. Under Headline - you can add a title for your Announcement
2. Under Content - you can write your message
It is possible to add the starting date of the Announcement, which will be made visible to students (Start Date). It is also possible to add an End date to the Announcement, which will no longer be made visible to the student (End date).
If the box Always show start date is unticked, the start date of the Announcement is no longer visible to students.
It is possible to add a file (Add a File) or add/record an audio (Record Audio) or video (Record Video) fragment. To record audio/video, your device must feature a microphone/webcam
There is a possibility to Attach Existing Conditions, Create and Attach or Remove All Conditions.
To Create New Release conditions,
1. Click on Create and Attach
A pop-up window will appear. To select a Condition Type,
2. Click on the downward arrow, a drop-down menu will appear
Select a Condition Type (for example Group Enrolment), to select Condition Details (Group),
3. Click on the downward arrow, a drop-down menu will appear, in this case, select Tutorial (Group)
4. Click on the blue-button Create, only students enroled in the group Tutorial will be able to see this Announcement
This action will redirect you to the New Announcement page.
The condition details will now appear under Additional Release Conditions.
5. Click on the blue-button Publish
You now know how to create an Announcement in Brightspace!
Want to know more about Communication with students via Brightspace?