How to manage dates
It is possible in Brightspace to see an overview and easily manage all dates of your course, including some items such as content visibility, assignment start dates and discussion forum end dates.
In this article you will learn how to:
Access Manage Dates
1. Navigate to Course tools
2. Click Course Admin. This will take you to the Course Administration homepage
3. Click Manage Dates. This will take you to the Manage Dates homepage
Manage Dates Homepage
In this page you will see a table with all the items of your course (content topics, calendar events, assignments, quizzes, grade items, categories, etc). Next to each item, you will see -if applicable- the due date, start date, end date, active days and item calendar presence in the same row. You will also see whether the item is visible, hidden or visible under certain conditions in the last column.
1. Course Duration
Here, it is possible to change the start and ends date of the course.
1. Click on the pen icon
2. In the pop-up window, enable the Start and End Date.
3. You are now able to set the course Start Date and End Date.
If you use an End date, be aware that the course is no longer accessible to students. In regular courses, students have the right to enter the course even when the course has finished.
2. Filter by Tool
1. You can filter the items to select by clicking the selectboxes of those course item dates you want to modify
2. Click Apply Filter
3. Bulk editing dates & offset dates
It is also possible to edit and offset the Dates of different items of the course in bulk. Below, you can find more information about:
You can edit many item dates at the same time with the Bulk Edit Dates option. Follow the next steps to do so:
1. Check the selectboxes of the items you want to modify at the left of the item names
2. Click Bulk Edit Date on top of the table
A pop-up window will open where you can set the new start, due and end dates of all the selected items.
3. In the pop-up window, set the items due dates, start dates, end dates and calendar visibility. These changes will be applied on all of the selected items
4. Click Save
Now all the selected items changed their dates settings at the same time.
You can also offset a selection of course items by a determined time range. This option is specially useful whenever you copy a course from a past period to a new one. You can learn more about offset ranges in the article Offset dates in a course copy. Follow the next steps to do so:
1. Check the selectboxes of the items you want to modify
2. Click Bulk Offset Dates on top of the table
A pop-up window will open where you can determine what dates to offset how much will the offset.
3. In the pop-up window select which dates you want to offset with the checkboxes
5. Click Save to save the changes
4. Editing Dates and Availability
In this table, you will find an overview of all the course items and their dates.
1. Click on the specific date that you would like to modify under the column Availability. This will open a pop-up window.
You can click on the item's name to go directly to its editing page. There you can also modify the item start, due and end dates.
2. In the pop-up window, determine the availability of the item with its start and end date
3. (Optional) Click on the checkbox under Calendar column to display the item in the calendar
4. Click Save to save the changes
Now you modified the dates of a specific item. You can repeat this procedure to modify other course items or you can continue to the next sections to bulk edit multiple items at the same time.
Congratulations! Now you know how to easily manage the dates of your course content.