How to edit a video in YuJa
YuJa offers several options to edit your own videos via the YuJa Video Editor. Editing videos is optional and not mandatory.
You can only edit videos that you own or that are shared with you without any restrictions.
This article will show you how to:
Video instructions on how to edit a video
Access the YuJa Video Editor
To access the YuJa editor, go to the green navigation bar:
- Click on Course Tools
- Select Manage Videos (YuJa)
The Media Library page will open, look for the video that you want to edit:
- Hover the cursor over the video
- Click Edit
The video editor will open and you can start editing your video.
Understand the YuJa Video Editor
In the YuJa Video Editor page, there are various tools to work with.
1. Advanced mode
Click to select if you want (Yes/No) the advanced mode of the edition. If you choose 'Yes', it gives you access to more editing options.
It is recommended to turn on the advanced mode to make sure that all further information in this manual matches your view
In the progress bar, you can move around the timeline of the video. You can do so by moving the cursor on the bar.
- Drag and drop the pointer to the point of the video you want to go
- Click within the bar on the point you want to go
The blue rectangle and blue line show you at what moment of time you are in the video. In addition, in the blue rectangle, the exact moment of time is displayed following the format: 0.000 seconds.
To move along the video, drag and drop the blue rectangle or the blue line.
When the advanced mode is turned on, several editing tools appear:
- Scissors: Used to cut out pieces of the video, click here to learn how to use it
- Undo: Allows you to withdraw the last action
- Redo: Allows you to redo the last action
- Slide override: To upload a document (*.ppt, *.pptx, *.doc, *.docx, *.xlsx, *.pdf) or image (*.jpg, *.jpeg, *.png) to override the current video segment
- Add video: To insert a video
- Image tools: To insert a image
- Add text overlay: Used to add typed text
- Add telestration: To hand write a text
When clicking on Save, there are two different saving options:
- Replace Existing video: It overwrites the editing on the original file. The original file will be definitively edited
- Save as a New Video: The video edited will be saved as new. The original file is kept as well
When clicking on Discard every change you made (that were not saved previously) will be deleted and you will be redirected to the YuJa Media Library.
Realize the most common editing options
Once you are in the YuJa video editor page:
- Move to the part of the video that you want to cut, using the progress bar or the blue rectangle/line
- Click on the Scissors icon
- Drag and drop the mouse to the point where you want to finish the cut
The area selected is now cut out from your video but remains visible within the gray area.
After making the cut, you have several options:
- Continue the cutting in other parts of the video, following the same procedure
- Adjust previous cuts placing your cursor on the edges of the cut and dragging it where you want
- Undo any cut by clicking the black cross in the corner of its gray area
You can preview what the video looks like with your cut(s) by clicking the button play.
4. Click on Save
You might want to add a text in order to:
- Emphasize something
- Explain difficult vocabulary in a video and show how it is written
- Correct a small mistake you said while talking
To add text to a video:
- Navigate to the point of the video where you want to add the text overlay
- Click on the Add text overlay icon
A pop-up window will appear,
- Write your Text, select Font Size, and Duration of appearance
- Click Apply
The text will appear on your slide. Position your cursor on the text:
- Drag and drop the text around the screen as you like
Double click on the orange area of the text overlay to be redirect to the pop-up page and adjust text, font size and duration. Click on the black cross at the edge to delete the text overlay.
You can preview what the video looks like with the text by clicking the button play.
- Click on Save
Subtitles are automatically generated. For this reason, spelling mistakes might occur when unfamiliar or not perfectly pronounced words are used (e.g. names of people, places and plants).
You can edit the subtitles in two different ways according to your needs:
Suitable if you watch the whole video.
To change the subtitle directly under the video:
- Navigate where you want to change the subtitles
- Click on the black bar
- Write the subtitle you would like to have
Suitable to change reoccurring mistakes due to the automated generation of subtitles.
For instance, if the automatic captions replaced the word ‘third’ with ‘turd’ multiple times, you can search for the word ‘turd’ throughout the captions and change it everywhere with one click.
To access the bulk edit mode:
- Click on the CC icon
A pop-up window will appear on the right part of your screen,
- Click on the magnifying glass
- In Find, enter the word you want to substitute
- In Replace, insert the word you want to display
- Click on Aa if you want the search query to be case sensitive
- Click on the double arrow if you want the replacement to happen only once
- Click on All if you want to change every match in one click
Now, you know how to edit a video!