Grades | How to export grades from Brightspace into Osiris
Once grades are placed in the grade book, they need to be added to Osiris, the student's information system of WUR. To export grades from Brightspace to Osiris, you need to create a table that matches Osiris criteria. You will be working on different excel files: one downloaded from Brightspace (Brightspace excel), the Omreken file and one downloaded from Osiris (Osiris excel)
In this article you will learn:
- How to download the Brightspace excel file
- How to prepare your Brightspace file
- How to prepare your Osiris file
- Tips to check if the procedure was successful
Downloading the Brightspace excel file
Navigate to your course, in the green navigation bar,
- Click on Grades
- Click on Export
This will open the Export homepage,
- Under Key Field select Org Defined ID
- Under Grade, Values select only Grade Scheme
- Under User Details deselect all the boxes
Deselect the boxes is not mandatory, however these information are not relevant for OSIRIS
Scroll the page down and from the table Choose Grades to Export,
- Select the box for the Final (Calculated) Grade (or the grade item you wish to import to Osiris)
- Click on Export To Excel
On the pop-up window Export Grades
- Click on Download
The downloaded Brightspace excel file contains a table that should look like this,
- The OrgDefinedId - the students' ID number
- The Calculated Final Grade Scheme Symbol - the grades
Preparing your Osiris file
- Go to OSIRIS-Lecturer and log in.
- Click on Grade.
A screen appears with all exams for which you can enter grades.
- Select your course.
- Click in the menu ACTIONS ,and then
- Click on Create file
- Save the grade input file in a secure environment
For more information visit the article: How to make a grade input file
Overview of the Osiris excel
From OSIRIS, you can download an excel file containing the following information,
- Student number (Studentnummer)
- Name of the student (Naam), sorted in alphabetical order
- Date of the exam (Toetsdatum)
- Result (Resultaat)
In order to upload grades in OSIRIS, the table must be filled in with the results
1. Osiris excel: Sort by Student number
The file downloaded from Osiris is alphabetically sorted by last name. In order to keep the correspondence between the students and the grade, it is important to sort the Osiris excel by student number
To do so:
- Select the column Student number and Name (and any other column that might contains data, from the row 8 onwards)
- Right-click on the selected columns, a menu will appear
- Click on Sort, a second menu will appear
- Click on Custom Sort...
A pop-up window will appear,
- For the value Sort by, choose Student number
- For the value Sort On, choose Cell Values
- For the value Order, choose A to Z
- Click on OK
2. Osiris excel: Add grades
- Open the Brightspace excel you have previously worked on,
Under the column Calculated Final Grade Scheme Symbol, that contains the grade
- Select and Copy the all values
Now go back to the Osiris excel, and under the column Resultaat
- Click on Paste the value you previously copied, and
- Save the file
Your Osiris excel is now ready to be uploaded!
For more information and step by instructions visit the article : How to import results with a grade input file
1. Check if the Brightspace excel and the Osiris excel have the same number of rows
2. Use an Equal test
An equal test is a formula to check the correspondence between two cells
To use the equal test:
- Copy-paste the Brightspace excel table (OrgDefinedId and Calculated Final Grade Scheme Symbol) into the Osiris excel
The first data copied from Brightspace has to be placed in the same row of the first data of the Osiris excel (row 9)
In the first empty column next to the data,
- Enter the equal function. Type the following: "= cell containing Student number = cell containing the value copied from Brightspace", in this case "=A9=F9"
- Drag and drop the function to the all table
When the column is filled with "TRUE" value, the ordering of the student number in the Osiris and in the Brigthspace excel is the same
Now, you can repeat the same procedure to check the correspondence of grades
To do so, in the first empty column next to the data:
- Enter the equal function. Type the following: "= cell containing grade = cell containing the grade value copied from Brightspace", in this case "=D9+G9"
- Drag and drop the function to the all table
When the column is filled with "TRUE" value, the ordering of the grades in the Osiris and in the Brigthspace excel is the same
You now know how to export grades from Brightspace to Osiris!
Want to know more about Grades in Brightspace?