Virtual Classroom | How to create and add a meeting
In Brightspace you can create meetings to be hosted in Virtual Classroom. There are several ways to create Virtual Classroom meetings and check the list of already-scheduled meetings.
This article will guide you through the process of:
Online meetings with Virtual Classroom are recommended for small classes of up to 150 students.
Keep in mind that Virtual Classroom is not recommended to record videos that you would like to use in multiple courses or over the years. This is because Virtual Classroom recordings cannot be copied and can only be used for viewing within the Brightspace course where they took place.
If you are looking for different tools to record lectures that you could reuse in future courses, please visit the Brightspace page What's up, What's new > Content > Available Tools > Create recordings.
If you already have a recorded session in Virtual Classroom that you want to use in another course, please check Reusing Virtual Classroom recordings out of your course.
Creating a meeting via course content
It is possible to create and schedule Virtual Classroom meetings directly via your course content.
Virtual Classroom restrictions:
- Maximum participants: 150
- Maximum session time: 240 minutes
- Maximum presentation file size: 30 MB
- Maximum presentation slides: 200 (.pdf format is recommended)
- Maximum webcams at the same time: 10
- Maximum breakout rooms: 8
Follow the next steps to set-up a meeting:
1. Navigate to Content in your course navigation bar
2. Navigate to the module where Virtual Classroom meeting should be added once created.
3. Click on Existing Activities.
4. From the drop-down menu select Virtual Classroom. A new window will pop-up to enter the meeting settings
5. Click on Schedule meeting in the pop-up window. The next screen will show you several settings for your meeting
- Title - Give a name to your meeting
- Date - determine the day and time when the meeting will start
- Max duration - set for how long will the meeting take place (from 15 to 240 minutes allowed)
- Start recording automatically - record the meeting as it starts. If unselected, you can start the recording manually once you are inside the meeting
- Publish recorded meeting - publish the meeting recorded in the meeting page
- Allow external participants - open the meeting to anyone with the meeting link. If this option is enabled, you will generate a link so that external participants can join by clicking on it. This is handy to invite external guest lecturers/speakers without a WUR account
- Invite entire class - allow users with Student role in the classlist to enter the meeting (keep this option active)
- Repeat weekly for - generate a recurring meeting with the same settings (up to 15 weeks)
4. Click Save to save the meeting setup. After this, you will see the previous window with all your scheduled meetings
Keep the Invite entire class setting selected for everyone from the Classlist to have access to the meeting. Only then the meeting will be published in students' calendars.
There are some settings that will disable the option to add a meeting to content via Existing activities. These are:
- Unselecting option Invite entire class. To see how to add a meeting for specific users only, visit Group work or Inviting external participants
- Unselecting Publish recorded meeting
So keep the options Invite entire class and Publish recorded meeting if you want to keep active the possiblity of publishing your meeting via content.
5. In the Class Meetings window, click on the meeting you just created
The link to the scheduled online meeting via Virtual Classroom will now appear in the content view as an External Learning Tool type of activity. You and your class participants are now able to access the meeting.
Now you can improve the meeting viewing experience for your users by following the next steps:
6. Click on the arrow next to the name of the meeting. A drop-down menu will open
7. Click on Edit properties In-place
Now, some extra options appear to let you edit the properties of this activity. Here you can add dates, restrictions description of the meeting and adjust the visibility for students.
8. Click on the selectbox Open as External Resource
Now, everything is set for your meeting! The meeting will be automatically added to the Calendar of the course in Brightspace as well.
Clicking on the link (via Content or Calendar) will open a window with details about the scheduled meeting before entering the session. On this page you can also check the tips provided by Bongo to improve your connection and experience during the meeting (you will be able to click on each title in Session Management to read more):
Reviewing the list of scheduled meetings
To see all the meetings you have scheduled (both for all your class or only for specific users), follow the next steps:
1. Navigate to Course Tools in the navigation bar
2. Click on Virtual Classroom. This will open the Virtual Classroom homepage
In the following page you will see all Active Meetings (they are scheduled for the future) and Recorded Meetings (they already took place in the past) of Virtual Classroom.
In this page you can also create new meetings using the pink button in the lower right corner. However, it will not add automatically the meeting to the content!
You now know how to create, add, and to view list of Virtual Classroom meetings!
Want to know more about Virtual Classroom in Brightspace?