How to use Weblectures in Brightspace
A Weblecture is a recording of a course related presentation, lecture or workshop that can be viewed live and after the recording has taken place. If you have any questions or comments about the service of team Weblectures or one of its components you can take a look at the Weblectures intranet page. If your question is not listed you can contact email@example.com.
The basic principle behind Weblectures at Wageningen University & Research is that they should serve as a reference and are only intended for students in the relevant course. If you make the recording available via one of the recommended ways on Brightspace all the users of the Brightspace page will be able to see the added Weblectures. This manual will show how to:
- The name and description of the Weblectures-module can be changed afterwards similar to other content in Brightspace, for example to customise the module to include the course code
- Multiple Weblecture modules can be added, for example one with a dynamic link, and one with a custom selection (other courses, specific lectures from previous years)
- The Weblecture module(s) can be still edited while the course is running, for example to add additional videos
- When only using a dynamic filter in a Brightspace-module, Weblectures can also be added in the description of the module via the 'Insert Stuff'; this will immediately present the Weblectures when opening the module in Brightspace, saving an extra click and an otherwise empty module
- Weblectures uses the format XXX00000 for courses. Searches that use the format XXX-00000 will not work
1. In the navbar of the course click on Content
2. Click on the module or submodule where you would like to place the video(s). In this example we choose for the module “Weblectures”
3. Click on Existing Activities, this will open a drop-down list
4. Click on External Learning Tools this will open the External Learning Tools pop-up window
5. From the External Learning Tools pop-up window, click Weblectures, this will add the Weblectures learning tool to the module
6. Click on the new Weblectures learning tool, this will immediately open the edit window for weblectures
7. Enter the search parameter course code (XXX00000) (when advanced search is used you could also specify your search with Course Year and Course Period, see example below)
8. Click on Search. All the Weblectures made in the previous three years with this Course Code are now visible for you
9. Click on the thumbnail to watch the Weblecture
10. Select Custom selection to make a selection of the Weblectures that appeared
11. Tick the boxes of the videos that need to be included in the custom selection
12. If needed you can select all videos on the page, or clear your entire selection by clicking Deselect all. There is not an option to select all (only to select all on the page)
13. When a single video is selected, there is the option to show it as a thumbnail, a link with custom text (for example a short description), or an embedded player. For the embedded player there is the option to Autoplay the video when opened.
14. When all required videos are selected, click Save
You now know how to use Weblectures in Brightspace!