How to use Multimedia in Brightspace
‘Multimedia’ is an External Learning Tool integrated into Brightspace that allows lecturers to upload educational videos to the server so they can later be added to the course's content. In case of any question please contact the Multimedia Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The basic principle behind Multimedia at Wageningen University & Research is that they should serve as a reference and are only intended for students in the relevant course. By making the recording available via one of the recommended ways on Brightspace all the users of the Brightspace page will be able to see the added multimedia content.
In this article you will learn how to:
How to create a Multimedia Topic in a (sub)module
In the green navigation bar of the course,
- Click on Content
This will open the Content homepage, then
- Click on the (sub)module where the videos need to be added to
- Click on Existing Activities, and a drop-down menu will appear
- Click on External Learning Tools, this will open a pop-up window
In the pop-up window Add Activity,
- Click on Multimedia
This action will create a Multimedia Learning Tool to the (sub)module and will close the window
- Click on the newly created Multimedia topic
The Multimedia External Learning Tool interface will open,
1. Click on the Upload button
This action will open a new window were
- Click Add File, this will open an explorer pop-up. Select the file and double click/click Open
- (Required) Give the video a Title
- (Required) Enter a description of the video, this will be visible for students
- Enter keywords to be used as search parameters
- (Optional) Enter the course code of the relevant course
- (Optional) Enter the course name of the relevant course
- Select the recording type
- When all relevant information is entered, click on the Upload
- Your video will be processed in the background, click on OK
You can see the progress in the upload window
In this step, the uploaded video can also be deleted by clicking on the Delete button
You can now find your file on https://multimedia.wur.nl to make changes to the metadata or to delete the file.
When processed, the video is available to be added in the steps described below
- Search for the subject(s) to be added
- Click on Search
- Tick the box of the videos that need to be included in the Custom selection
- (Optional) you can select all videos on the page, or clear your entire selection by clicking on Deselect all
When a single video is selected, there is the option to show it as a thumbnail, a link with custom text (for example a short description), or an embedded player. For the embedded player there is the option to Autoplay the video when opened.
When all required videos are selected,
- Click on Save
You now know how to use Multimedia in Brightspace!